Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2nd Thessaloniki Biennale of Contemporary Art


Yesterday I took advantage of the fact that I have no money and am stuck in the city to visit more of the second Thessaloniki's Biennale sites. Actually, I visited four of them in the port and pleasantly spent most the morning taking in the exhibitions. I can't say that I liked or even understood a lot of what I saw (the video installations leave me cold) but it was worth the effort to see kinds of art that I would not usually be exposed to.


Last week I did get the chance to see "Rodchenk and Popova: Defining Constructivism" at Greece’s State Museum of Contemporary Art (SMCA) which is part of the Moni Lazariston complex in Stavroupoli. The exhibition is excellent and tickets cost just three euros.


"The exhibition presents the work of two of the most important artists of the Russian avant-garde, Aleskandr Rodchenko (1891-1956) and Liubov Popova (1889-1924). This is a major project, with around 350 paintings, designs, structures, reconstructions, photographs and archives, intended to focus on and present the progress of Constructivism through the movement’s two greatest representatives.

Observing the birth, the formation of the principles and the extensions of Constructivism, the exhibition also includes designs for stage sets, magazine covers, patterns for textiles and clothing, indications of the inclusion of art in production and daily life, as well as of the contribution the two artists made to the promotion of their era’s artistic creation to the avant-garde."

No comments: